Logo
UpDated - 4/19/18
SELECTBOARD MEETING MINUTES

Monday April 2, 2018
5:30 PM-6:00 PM
Executive Session 1 MRSA § 405(6)(E) Consultation with legal counsel

6:00 PM
Public hearing on discontinuance of Town Landing Road/ Nequasset Brook Bridge
Regular Selectboard Meeting
At the Town Office

ATTENDANCE: David King, Jason Shaw, Allen Greene, Allison Hepler and Dale Chadbourne

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Prior to the beginning of the regular meeting Town Administrator Katharine Johnston, led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of our country.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES: It was moved, seconded and voted unanimously to approve the March 19, 2018 minutes as written.

SELECTMEN’S COMMENTS:

Allen Greene: Stated that he was glad to see that the Solid Waste Committee had put together plans for the Woolwich Clean up day on May 5th.

Jason Shaw: Thanked Allison and the Communications Committee for putting together the Newsletter. Jason stated that he would not be able to attend the April 17th Selectboard meeting as he will be on vacation. Jason had met with FEMA 4/2/18 to finalize things for the Town of Woolwich for the October windstorm. Jason thanked Brian Carlton for being instrumental in getting to the front of the line and making the process a speeding and efficient one.

Allison Hepler: Allison has spoken with the teacher in charge of putting together the students for the painting of the tunnel. Things are progressing on that and time frame seems to be on track for dedication on Memorial Day. Allison commented that she had a complaint from a resident on Days Ferry Road concerning the digging up of their yard from plow trucks over the winter. David King suggested that she call David Jewell to see if he could repair it or work with the resident for a resolution.

Dale Chadbourne: None

David King: None


PUBLIC COMMENTS:

Sue Whitaker asked if there were any updates on the Nequasset Park improvements. Jason responded that they would be meeting in May to work on developing a bid for the work.

Guy Marsden of Delano Road asked the Board for their permission to use a metal detector on the Town property. The Board voted unanimously to sign Mr. Marsden’s agreement to allow metal detection on Town property.

ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT:

Jack Shaw stated that work had begun on patching asphalt roads. He stated that with the winter we have experienced there appeared to not be significant damage.

CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER’S REPORT:
Not present. Attending Planning Board meeting.

EMS CHIEF’S REPORT: Reported that there were 8 calls and Woolwich had responded to 7. Brian informed the Board that Rescue One had had some significant work done on it. He also reported that all FEMA requirements for reimbursement had been met.

FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT: Deputy Chief Glen Kirkpatrick reported 6 calls since the last meeting. No burning permits are being issued at this time due to lack of rain.


OLD BUSINESS:

a. Other: Allen stated that he would be willing to begin looking into getting a plaque for the pedestrian tunnel for Memorial Day.

NEW BUSINESS:

a. Approval of Bylaws: Selectboard voted unanimously for the change in meeting agendas, placing CEO report prior to the EMS Chief in the Bylaws.

b. Katharine Johnston appointment as Public Access Officer: Selectboard voted unanimously to appoint Town Administrator, Katharine Johnston, as the Public Access Officer.

c. Liquor License: Selectboard voted unanimously to waive a public hearing. They voted unanimously to sign the liquor license for Montsweag Farm.

d. Other:
1) The Selectboard voted unanimously to move the 4/16/18 meeting to 4/17/18 as 4/16/18 is Patriot’s Day.
2) It was submitted to the Selectboard to sign an agreement with full time staff for dental coverage at no cost to the town as town employees will cover the cost. This was voted unanimously in favor.
3) The Selectboard voted unanimously for the Order of Discountenance of the Nequasset Bridge and to have it placed on the Town Warrant for vote at Town Meeting on 4/28/18.


Respectfully Submitted,

Katharine Johnston
Town Administrator


Approved:___________________________
cc: Selectboard/Staff
SELECTBOARD MEETING MINUTES
Monday March 5, 2018
Selectboard Meeting with NPIC 4-5
Discussion surrounding use of grant money for Nequasset Park Improvements

Executive Session 1 MRSA § 405(6)(E) Consultation with legal counsel
5:00 P.M adjourn at 6:00 P.M.

6:00 PM
Regular Selectboard Meeting
At the Town Office

ATTENDANCE: David King, Jason Shaw, Allen Greene, Allison Hepler and Dale Chadbourne

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Prior to the beginning of the regular meeting Town Administrator Katharine Johnston, led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of our country.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES: It was moved, seconded and voted unanimously to approve the February 5,13,20, and 21, 2018 minutes as written.

SELECTMEN’S COMMENTS:
Allen Greene: Suggested that the Town reach out to the Solid Waste Committee concerning having a Town Clean-up day.
Jason Shaw: Mentioned that he and the Town Administrator had attended training in relation to a speed radar sign that was given to the town by MDOT. The sign has been insured. Jack Shaw and Sons built a trailer to hold the sign so that it is mobile.
Allison Hepler: Marla Davis, Paul Dudley, and Allison have been placed on an age friendly steering committee and will be meeting next month. Spoke with an art teacher at the school concerning painting the tunnel. The teacher stated that all she would request of the town is the cost to have the children bused to the tunnel which would be $250.00.
Dale Chadbourne: None
David King: None

PUBLIC COMMENTS: James Gabor stated that he would like to recognize a resident in the Town in the form of dedication and plaque upon completion of the tunnel painting. Stated that he had reached out to Reed & Reed regarding more landscaping to be done at the entrance but acknowledged the work that had been done.

ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT: Jack Shaw stated that roads had been posted with weight limits. Checked all dirt roads and stated they are in the condition that would be expected at this time of year.

EMS CHIEF’S REPORT: Reported that there were 15 calls and Woolwich had responded to 13. Conducted Epi pen training. Brian stated that he would like to form a committee concerning EMS services as he has concerns that Northeast will not renew the Town’s contract in June 2019. FEMA has reached out and will be meeting with Brian on 3/12/18 at 1pm. Brian invited Board members to attend the meeting. He stated that the FEMA representative had requested that someone from the Road Commissioners office attend. He stated that Jack Shaw had already agreed to attend. Brian stated that he is pricing out white boards that would contain a permanent map of the town as a communication device for the department.

FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT: Mike Demers reported 10 calls since the last meeting. Stated that Ken Desmond had conducted yearly mandatory training for the department. The department has received a forestry grant which allows them to make purchases for new clothing at a 50% match. Mike stated that he had three new members and four volunteers attending school. Mike thanked a Jack Shaw and Son’s employee that stopped by during the flooding on route one and offered help. The Board was encouraged to go to the fire station and take a look at the improvements that have been made to the bathrooms and showers as it in now mandatory for staff upon the return of a call to take a shower. He also asked what the plans were for flags on Memorial Day as they were damaged during a storm.

CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER’S REPORT: Bruce Engert not present.

OLD BUSINESS:
a. Nequassset Bridge: No discussion
b. Sign for Town Hall: Jason stated that he had spoken with Dave Allen at MDOT and the Town can place a sign in the right of way.
c. Other: None

NEW BUSINESS:
a. Montsweag Roadhouse Liquor License: Voted unanimously to waive public comment and voted unanimously to approve license
b. Other: None

Upcoming budget meetings: 3/14/18 at 4:30 P.M.

Respectfully Submitted,

Katharine Johnston
Town Administrator


Approved:___________________________
cc: Selectboard/Staff
SELECTBOARD MEETING MINUTES
Monday February 5, 2018
Selectboard Budget Meeting with Patten Library 4-5
Discussion surrounding the proposed FY2019 budget for the Patten Library

Executive Session 1 MRSA § 405(6)(F) Discussion of confidential records
5:00 P.M. adjourn at 5:30 P.M.

Executive Session 1 MRSA § 405(6)(E) Consultation with legal counsel
5:30 P.M adjourn at 6:00 P.M.

6:00 PM
Regular Selectboard Meeting
At the Town Office

ATTENDANCE: David King, Jason Shaw, Allen Greene, Allison Hepler and Dale Chadbourne

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Prior to the beginning of the regular meeting Town Administrator Katharine Johnston, led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of our country.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES: It was moved, seconded and voted unanimously to approve the January 16, 2018 and January 29, 2018 minutes as written.

SELECTMEN’S COMMENTS:
Allen Green: None
Jason Shaw: Asked the board to start thinking about the Spirit of America Award candidates.
Allison Hepler: Attended the Bath Water talk presented by Trevor Hunt and stated that it was very good. Allison mentioned that there is a revised solar bill updating the number from nine to fifty. Mentioned that Bill Potter has hired Ray Robson as the fish commissioner.
Dale Chadbourne: None
David King: Held a moment of silence for the passing of Gloria Brawn.

PUBLIC COMMENTS: Sue Whittaker commented that Joan Jordan has a plaque for swimming and would like to have it placed in Town Hall where it was prior to the renovations. The board agreed and said to have Joan bring it in to be displayed.
ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT: Jack Shaw stated that he had not received any comments about issues regarding road conditions. Stated that he had heard from the Maine Department of Transportation and that Mr. Lovely would be at Jack Shaw’s office at 8:30 am 2/12/18 to go to the Middle Road to look at the shoulders. Members of the Board were invited to attend.

EMS CHIEF’S REPORT: Reported seven calls since the last meeting. Requested to send out an updated Emergency contact list with the tax bills. Would like to begin working on a list of people who would be willing to volunteer when the fire station becomes a shelter as on call workers man it however there are times that they need to go out on a call and someone needs to be there to oversee. He also stated that he had submitted he FEMA reimbursement paperwork. The board also voted unanimously to pay the cardiac bill.

FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT: Mike Demers reported five calls since the last meeting. The squad truck has been returned. Submitted for a grant to purchase more clothing as currently there are enough safe uniforms and safety equipment to cover 41 firefighters and the current roster is 40. Wanted to thank the Recreation Committee for supplying dinner for those that participated in the cold-water training as part of the recreations appreciation for the ice arena. Both Brian and Mike agreed to attend a budget meeting on 2/13/18 at 3pm to go over their requests.

CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER’S REPORT: Stated he is working on some violation issues. Voiced concern over the identifying numbers on homes around town as not E-911 compilate.
The
OLD BUSINESS:
a. Draft Special Town Meeting Agenda: After correction made to Roads amount on Special Town Meeting. Agenda was approved.
b. Other: Voted unanimously to place the vote to discontinue the Nequasset bridge onto the 3/19/2018 agenda.


NEW BUSINESS:

a. Sign Discussion: Jason brought information to the Board concerning a new sign to replace the one destroyed in the windstorm of 2017. Proposed using the franchise money from the Comcast contract to pay for the sign as this would be an affective way of communicating the public concerning town information. Allen stated that he would like to make sure that within the guidelines the sign would be visible from the road. Dale voiced concern over alienating parts of town that do not drive down route one by town hall. Allison said she would like to research other communities that have purchased similar electronic signs to see if they have seen an increase of public participation since the sign purchase.
b. Other: None

Upcoming budget meetings: 2/13/18 at 3pm & 2/20/18 at 4pm


Respectfully Submitted,

Katharine Johnston
Tax Collector


Approved:___________________________
cc: Selectboard/Staff
SELECTBOARD MEETING MINUTES
Tuesday January 16, 2018
General Assistance Training 2:00 P.M. to 3:15 P.M.

Recreation Committee Workshop
5:00 P.M. adjourn at 5:40 P.M.

A discussion surrounding the recreation committee’s future plans, to which they stated that they are looking to stay small and volunteer based.

6:00 PM
Regular Selectboard Meeting
At the Town Office

ATTENDANCE: David King, Jason Shaw, Allen Greene, Allison Hepler and Dale Chadbourne

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Prior to the beginning of the regular meeting Town Administrator Katharine Johnston, led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of our country.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES: It was moved, seconded and voted unanimously to approve the January 2,2018 minutes as written.

SELECTMEN’S COMMENTS:
Allen Green: None
Jason Shaw: Welcomed Katie Johnston to her first day as Town Administrator. Stated the Perma-Line delivery will be either this week or the next.
Allison Hepler: Attended age friendly meeting at the Patten Library discussing the demographics of the area.
Dale Chadbourne: Asked if the solar panels are up? Allison responded that they were up and running.
David King: None

PUBLIC COMMENTS: Debbie Locke told the audience that the Bath History series will be hosting a History of the Water District at 10:30 1/20/2018 hosted by Trevor Hunt.
James Gabor read a memo regarding items or issues that he feels that the town has not addressed properly. Members of the Board told Mr. Gabor that they feel the Board has been responsive to his concerns over the past year, and that the forum of the public selectboard meeting is the proper place to address any resident concerns. They also said that they feel the expense of having the Town remove snow from downtown sidewalks and the pedestrian tunnel, based on the experience from 2001 when this was attempted, is not something the town would likely support. Instead, they encouraged Mr. Gabor to circulate a petition among Town residents to gain wider community support for his plan, as has been a common practice with other Town issues. Once the petition was submitted and certified, the Board would have time to request bids from interested parties and have a price in time for the Town Meeting warrant.

Joan Jordan thanked the fire chief for help in getting a citizen back home. She also thanked the road commissioner for the care of the roads this winter. She voiced concern over an abandoned refrigerator on the corner of Gray road and asked the town to inspect it as it could pose a safety hazard.

ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT: Jack Shaw welcomed new Town Administrator Katie Johnston to the job. Stated the issue that they have been dealing with is due to all the rain unpaved roads need to be checked. Allison asked Jack about the MDOT letter she drafted regarding shoulders on Route 127. He suggested requesting a meeting. She will draft the letter. Allison also suggested a “thin ice” sign be posted at the Nequasset Park, which prompted a discussion about whether it’s needed given that the Town does not plow the parking lot in winter.

EMS CHIEF’S REPORT: Received eight calls since last meeting. Brian Carlton stated that he is working on a training calendar that would provide two trainings a month. Asked the selectman to consider allowing him to purchase a piece of equipment with the sale of stretchers and backboards in combination with the donation account. The Selectboard stated that they had no issue.

FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT: Mike Demers reported five calls since the last meeting. Reported that staff had completed cold water training and would be going into the water at the end of the month.

CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER’S REPORT: Bruce was absent from the meeting and David informed the Board that Bruce had nothing new to report.
The
OLD BUSINESS:
Mid-Year Audit: Town Administrator, Katie Johnston, stated that is was complete and there were no outstanding issues.

Update of DOT Meeting: MDOT has put up a new sign “Alternate Merge” to match the arrows painted on Route 1.. The town will also be receiving a sign at no cost from the state showing when drivers are going over the allowed speed.


NEW BUSINESS:

a. Draft Special Town Meeting Agenda: Drafted up Special town meeting agenda regarding the funds that need to be replenished due to the October windstorm.

Upcoming budget meetings: 1/29/18 at 4pm & 2/5/18 at 4pm


Respectfully Submitted,

Katharine Johnston
Tax Collector




Approved:_____________________
cc: Selectboard/Staff

SELECTBOARD MEETING MINUTES
Tuesday January 2, 2018
Executive Session: 5:00 P.M. Adjourn at 5:45 P.M.

6:00 PM
Regular Selectboard Meeting
At the Town Office


ATTENDANCE: David King, Jason Shaw, Allen Greene, Allison Hepler and Dale Chadbourne


PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Prior to the beginning of the regular Select Board Meeting the Chair of the Board, David King, led the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of our country.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES: It was moved, seconded and voted unanimously to approve the December 4th, December 19th, and December 28th, 2017 minutes as written. Allison Helper excused herself from the vote for December 19th and December 28th minutes as she was not present for those meetings.

SELECTBOARD ORGANIZATIONAL MEETING: Dale Chadbourne nominated David King as Chair and Allison Hepler seconded. The Board voted unanimously to have David King chairman of the Board. David King nominated Dale Chadbourne for second chair of the board. The Board voted unanimously to have Dale Chadbourne as vice chair.

SELECTMEN’S COMMENTS:
Allen Green: None
Jason Shaw: Commended the work of the Fire Department for their work at the Everett Dow Road fire. Using minimal water resulting in minimal damage to the property.
Allison Hepler: ReVision Energy has issued a press release for the opening of the solar panels. She also stated that she would be attending an age friendly regional meeting the following week.
Dale Chadbourne: None
David King: Heating assistance fund has been used. Stated that if the public needs help to reach out.

PUBLIC COMMENTS: None

ROAD COMMISSIONER’S REPORT: Jack Shaw stated that all the roads look good this winter. There have been no known complaints. Mike Demers thanked Jack Shaw and Sons for a sand delivery when a fire truck was stuck. Jack stated that they would not be charging the town. Allison asked if there was an opportunity during the repair next summer of Route 127 to look into getting shoulders done on the road. Jack Shaw stated that they had brought that up prior to no success but would be willing to look into have a discussion with DOT again concerning this.

EMS CHIEF’S REPORT: Brian Carlton stated that they were monitoring the storm for Thursday and there were concerns over strong winds and power outages. There were ten calls, nine Woolwich responded to. Northeast was requested to seven calls and they responded to six. EMS went to two calls in Bath when the Bath EMS were tied up at a structure fire. Brian also stated that he was able to find a buyer from a Michigan funeral home to purchase two stretchers and backboards.

FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT: Mike reported that there had been eight calls since the last meeting including a structure fire. They have received two new applications and a new EMT as some completed their EMT training. He also stated that they had received a check from the insurance company for $1750.00.

CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER’S REPORT: Bruce was absent from the meeting and David informed the Board that Bruce had nothing new to report.
The
OLD BUSINESS:
Sidewalk Snow removal: Addressing a request from James Gabor in relation the snow removal on the South end of town. David King stated that the cost to remove snow was quoted 17 years ago at $61,000 for three years and this would only affect 1% of the population. He recommended that if a citizen is concerned about this that they take out a petition from the Town hall and gather the needed number of signatures to then have the town go out to bid to then have the issue up for a Town Meeting vote. Nothing can be done at this time as no money was budgeted for snow removal at that location in this fiscal year. Jack Shaw commented that there is no place to move the snow to and it would need to hauled away which would require flaggers and disrupting the traffic on route one. Jason Shaw commented that there was a contract in 2001 to do this and the contractor never returned after a few storms.

Special Town Meeting: To take money from the undesignated surplus to replenish the fire department and road and bridges budgets. Decided to hold this meeting on February 20th at 5pm.

Nequasset Road Bridge: David King said he would like to revisit the issue as to whether or not to abandon the bridge or hold onto it as a town bridge. It was decided that there would be a workshop on February 5th at 5:30 pm.

NEW BUSINESS:


a. General Assistant Training: The Board of Selectman and Tax Collector Katharine Johnston will be attending a training provided by Jay Feyler the Town Manager of Union, here at Town Hall on January 16th at 2pm.
b. Selectboard bylaws: Voted unanimously to adopt the bylaws after the change from Board of Selectmen to Selectboard was made in the heading.
c. Disbursement Policy: Voted unanimously to adopt
d. Town Administrator Position: Voted unanimously to hire Katharine Johnston, current Tax collector for the town as the new Town Administrator upon completion of mid-year audit.
e. Tax Collector Opening: Voted unanimously to advertise as soon as mid-year audit is complete.
f. Other: Allison asked when staff evaluations were to be complete. David recommended that it be postponed due to all the recent staff changes. It was agreed that they would be completed the last week of June or the first week of July.

Upcoming budget meetings: 1/16/18 at 4pm. 2/5/18 at 4pm


Respectfully Submitted,

Katharine Johnston
Tax Collector





Approved:_____________________
cc: Selectboard/Staff

This is the official website
for the Town of Woolwich, Maine USA